This is a blog post that I wrote when the book first came out, now that it is in the news again (movie being released) my beliefs have not changed. In fact, I am even more committed to a purer and holier lifestyle. I will not read the book. I will not see the movie. Here is just 10 reasons why-
This blog is not for everyone. It is for anyone who calls Jesus as Lord. It is for those of the household of faith. It is for followers of Jesus Christ.
During a recent news report, I was made aware of a book that has been flying off of store shelves, with waiting list at some libraries and with other libraries refusing to stock the book. "50 Shades of Grey" by E. L. James, selling over 10 million copies. To say that this book is controversial is an understatement. In the last few weeks since the news report, not a day has gone by that this book has not come up in conversation or two. I want to set the record straight.
I will NOT be reading this book and here are my top 10 reasons why (I am sure that there are more):
- Bible: David (a man after God's heard) said "I will set no unwholesome or vile thing before my eyes." (Psalm 101:3) I take God at His Word. I desire to obey His Word. Even critics say that this book is poorly written. When there is so much good literature out there and I have limited time, why would this be my choice to read?
- Holiness. I am called to a life of Holiness.(Duet. 7:6) How would this book play into a holy lifestyle?
- Double Standard. I have seen too many marriages destroyed, families ruined and couples hurt because of addictions to pornography and sexual betrayals. Why would I be apart of a double standard?
- Arousal is for my husband. I want to keep myself only for my husband, not for any other, even a fictional character. Would I like it if my husband was aroused by anyone or anything other than me?
- Lust=adultery. Jesus spoke about this in the New Testament.(Matt. 5:28) Should I open myself up to lustful thoughts?
- Guard my mind. (Romans 8:5-8) I don't want images and scenarios embedded into my mind that I can't get out. I already have too many images or hurtful memories that I have a hard time with now. Oh, how I wish I had never seen them or heard them. Do I want garbage or good to fill my mind?
- Deceptive Trap. Satan is a liar, a thief, and a destroyer. He is cunning and knows exactly what he is up to in his deceptive trap.(1 Peter 5:8) In the book, the main character's name is Christian Grey. I know that every author puts thought and time into naming their lead characters. Christian Grey. Really? Do you think his name is by accident?
- Holy Spirit within me. Since I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior the Holy Spirit has been a resident of my heart and soul. (1 Corin. 6:19) Would I read this aloud if I thought the Lord was sitting next to me?
- Fear of the Lord. Fearing the Lord means to reverance, resist and restrain from anything that God says is evil. Sexual perversion and immorality is evil and wrong. Do I fear the Lord more than social popularity?
- Sin hurts me. When I sin, it causes me great pain. Sin leads me to repentance. Repentance breaks my heart. I am grieved when I have gone against the God I Love and disobeyed His Word and Will.(Psalm 51:4) It hurts me. I don't want to go through this process. How can I go against God?
I love and enjoy sex, (in case you may think I am a prude, I am not). God, who created me, is glad that I love and enjoy sex, as I am fulfilling part of his creation, which brings glory to Him. God's plan for sex is within the healthy boundaries of marriage, not the pages of an erotic best seller.
The choice is yours. I pray that you will be wise and carefully consider your actions. Take a stand now, as this is just the first book of the trilogy and the movie deal is already in the works. Stand firm as I fear we are on a slippery slope. The grey is bound to get 50 shades darker.